Support the Good work on this Blog
RCCG JUNIOR ZEAL FOR 2022/2023
AGE 13-19 TEACHER’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 3RD OF SEPTEMBER, 2023
LESSON ONE (01)
TOPIC: WHAT IS A GRATEFUL HEART?
BIBLE TEXT: Psalms 103:1-5
(A Psalm of David.) Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
MEMORY VERSE: Psalm 103:2 – Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand what it means to have a grateful heart.
CENTRAL TRUTH: Having a grateful heart is a necessity in our journey.
INTRODUCTION: The nature of man is selfish. This is why many people complain a lot and are ungrateful. Having a grateful heart is powerful because it reaffirms God’s goodness and love towards us. A grateful heart enhances positive emotions, relishes good experiences, improves health and helps us build good relationships. Gratitude is a warm or deep appreciation of kindness or benefits received. A grateful heart is a magnet for miracles because the more grateful you are, the more blessings you receive. This is why a child of God should have a grateful heart.
A. CHARACTERISTICS OF A GRATEFUL HEART
• A grateful heart is always thankful – Col. 3:17; 107:8
• A grateful heart is always joyful – 1 Thess. 5:16
• A grateful heart always has memories of God’s goodness and benefits – Ps. 103:2-5
• A grateful heart is not selfish but generous, in service to God and humanity -2 Cor. 9:11-12
• A grateful heart celebrates the mighty deeds of God – Psalm 9:1
• A grateful heart is God-centered and conscious of others
B. WHY SHOULD WE HAVE A GRATEFUL HEART?
• It glorifies God and showS us as thankful so we can get even more -2 Cor 4:15
• It puts us in God’s will – 1 Thess 5:18
• It helps us to see God even in difficult situations until He comes through for us – James. 1:16-17
• It brings peace – Phil. 4:6-7
• It draws us to God – Luke 17:17-19
• It deepens our faith – Ps. 136:1
• It leads to joy – Ps. 126:1-3
• It enables us to live in the presence of God continually – Ps. 16:11
• It helps us live with a heart of contentment – 1 Tim. 6:6-8
C. HOW DO WE DEVELOP A GRATEFUL HEART?
• Giving thanks always – 1 Thess. 5:18; Col. 3:17
• Meditating on the Word of God – Josh 1:8
• Sharing testimonies of God’s goodness – 1 Chron. 16:8;
• Being kind to others – Eph. 4:32
LIFE APPLICATION: Gratitude is a necessity in our daily walk as believers; we must learn to be grateful to God first, then to others for the kindness we receive from them and then be kind to others around us. A small act of kindness has the ability to vibrate the chords of love in another man’s heart and in eternity.
CONCLUSION: Give thanks always, maintain a reflective attitude, count your blessings, even when you cannot see them. Give thanks even for the little things like air, clouds, skies, peace, family, etc. There’s always something to be grateful for; the question is, what are you looking at?
TODAY’S LESSON REFLECTION:
What truth have you learnt from today’s lesson?
Write down one way in which you are going to apply what you now know.