RCCG LOWER JUNIOR ZEAL FOR 2022/2023
AGE 4-5 TEACHER’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 26TH OF MARCH, 2023
LESSON THIRTY (30)
TOPIC: THE REVELATIONAL GIFT 2: DISCERNMENT OF SPIRIT
BIBLE TEXT: Acts 16:16-40
And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,
And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,
And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.
And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them.
And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely:
Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.
And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed.
And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.
And when it was day, the magistrates sent the serjeants, saying, Let those men go.
And the keeper of the prison told this saying to Paul, The magistrates have sent to let you go: now therefore depart, and go in peace.
But Paul said unto them, They have beaten us openly uncondemned, being Romans, and have cast us into prison; and now do they thrust us out privily? nay verily; but let them come themselves and fetch us out.
And the serjeants told these words unto the magistrates: and they feared, when they heard that they were Romans.
And they came and besought them, and brought them out, and desired them to depart out of the city.
And they went out of the prison, and entered into the house of Lydia: and when they had seen the brethren, they comforted them, and departed.
MEMORY VERSE: 1 John 4:1 “Beloved do not believe every spirit, but test the spirit to see whether they are from God.”
LESSON AIM: God is the revealer of all hidden things
CHILD RELATED TRUTH: Truth: Ask God to give you the gift of discernment of Spirit.
INTRODUCTION: Discernment of Spirit means to understand or know something through the power of Holy Spirit for example to know the true character of people and the source and meaning of spiritual manifestation. 1 John 4:1 says Beloved do not believe every spirit, but test the spirit to see whether they are of God. We have example in our Bible lesson today.
Pray that God should give you gift of discernment of Spirit.
PROGRESSION OF EVENTS
1. Paul and Silas travelled to Philippines where they taught. vs 12-16
2. Following them each day, a fortune teller called out that Paul and Silas were servants of God who proclaim the way of salvation. vs 16-17. The slave girl was speaking the truth, but was controlled by an evil spirit that is sin. Do you also do good for wrong reasons that is sin? Sin is anything you think, do or say that makes God unhappy.
3. Grieved, Paul commanded the evil spirit to leave her in Jesus name. Vs. 18
Paul was able to know that the girl was saying by the evil spirit through the power of discernment of spirit. It is a gift of the Holy Spirit, without that, the Slave girl will continue to deceive people and turn them away from the truth of God’s word and confusing the gospel of Christ that Paul preaches with fortune telling.
4. With their business ruined, the girl’s owners took Paul and Silas to the team officials and accused them of teaching against the law. vs 19-21
5. The crowd attacked Paul and Silas, the officials ordered then beaten and put in prison, placing them in stocks in the inner cell. vs 22-23
6. At midnight, the other prisoners heard them singing and praying, when an earthquake suddenly shook open all the doors.vs 25-26
7. Thinking the prisoners had escaped the Jailer drew his sword to kill himself, but Paul stopped him.vs 27-28.
8. The jailer ran to Paul and Silas, asking “What must I do to be saved?” vs 29-30
Although difficult time came to Paul and Silas even though they did what was right but they did not complain or murmur rather they praised God in the prison. How do you react when God allows difficult times in your life or you are punished unjustly? It will not help if you think about the problem and feel sorry for yourself. In fact will make the problem bigger and unkind words to others around. Rather turn to God who can give you joy and gladness inside even when things are not going well. Jeremiah 29:11, Hebrew 13:5).
9. Paul told him, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved you and your household. vs 31
10. In the Jailer’s home, Paul and Silas taught everyone present about Jesus and the Jailer washed their wounds. (vs 32,33)
CLIMAX: God turned Paul and Silas pain to joy and victory as the jailer and his family believed in the Lord and were baptized (vs 33a)
CHALLENGE: The discernment spirit of Paul delivered the slave girl from the evil spirit. If you have discernment of Spirit God will save you and people around you from many dangers.
INVITATION: Romans 10:13.
SUNDAY ACTS 18:4-6
MONDAY ACTS 18:7-9
TUESDAY ACTS 18:10-12
WEDNESDAY ACTS 18:13-15
THURSDAY ACTS 18:16-18
FRIDAY ACTS 18:19-21