RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL
LESSON: THIRTY ONE
DATE: SUNDAY 2ND APRIL 2023
TOPIC: CHRISTIAN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
*SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN*
*1.* O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
*2.* O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
*3.* O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
*4.* O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee
*5.* O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
*6.* O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE: “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven”. –Matthew 5:16
BIBLE PASSAGE: LEVITICUS 19:9-10
9 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest.
10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.
The God-man relationship is characterized by his holiness, justice, love and mercy among others. Our relationships with one another and society have to be patterned according to the character of God (Matthew 22:36-39). Therefore, it is our responsibility as God’s people to care for those around us (1John 3:10). The attempt of the church to show love and alleviate the sufferings of the people in her immediate environment/community is termed Christian Social Responsibility.
1. MEANING AND BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVES
2. BENEFITS OF CHRISTIAN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
MEANING AND BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVES
Christian Social Responsibility (CSR) is a faith-based obligation to meet societal needs through the demonstration of love that positively impacts communities and individuals. CSR has its roots in Christianity and the Church is meant to be an example for the world to follow (Matthew 5:16). It is an initiative for community relations and to partner with the government in achieving the Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). CSR could be in the areas of provision of basic social amenities, healthcare delivery/facilities, education, media, business support, art/entertainment, governance, sports, etc. It involves strategically assessing societal challenges and developing appropriate structured programmes to cater for them.
CSR is a core part of the ministry of the Church. It is not a 21st century concept; it has its origin in the Bible. For instance, Leviticus 19:9-10; 23:22 instruct us to always may provision for the needy out of our income. In Matthew 14:15-21, Jesus demonstrated the need for CSR when He fed five thousand men (besides women and children). Also, the early Christians distributed their wealth to take care of those in need (Acts 2:44-45).
BENEFITS OF CHRISTIAN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
The benefits of Christian Social Responsibility to the Church and the world are numerous:
1. It enables people to actually see and know the meaning of God’s love (1John 3:16-18).
2. It meets the needs of the less privileged in society.
3. It promotes evangelism and entrenches the Church of God in the hearts and minds of the people we come across (Matthew 5:16).
4. It embraces responsibility for sustainable actions and encourages a positive impact on the environment. (Mark 12:33).
5. It compliments government’s efforts in improving and sustaining the standard of living of people in their immediate community (James 2:14-16).
6. It will enable the Church to build a good relationship with the Community (Galatians 6:10).
7. It helps believers to represent Jesus physically in their communities (Proverbs 13:17; 2Corinthians 5:20).
Christian Social Responsibility is not to seek commendation from men but to show the love of Christ and be a blessing to our community.
1. How can believers impact their immediate environment
2. Mention four (4) benefits of CSR to the church and the world at large.