RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 7TH OF MAY, 2023
LESSON THIRTY-SIX (36)
TOPIC: MARRIAGE INFLUENCERS
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE: “Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:” Proverbs 24:3.
BIBLE PASSAGE: Proverbs 5:3-4
For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
INTRODUCTION: God invented marriage for companionship, sexual intimacy, procreation and invariably fulfilment (Gen.2:18, 21-24). However, what becomes of marriage depends primarily on the understanding of the couple on what marriage should be and the factors that positively or negatively influence such understanding (Prov.24:3-4). How a couple manages such influence(s) determines whether or not there will be happiness, peace, progress, etc. We shall, therefore, address some of these marriage influencers in this lesson.
1. NEGATIVE INFLUENCERS
2 POSITIVE INFLUENCERS
1. NEGATIVE INFLUENCERS
1. Friends in toxic relationships: Couples must protect their marriage from failure by avoiding destructive relationship patterns sponsored by third parties whose marriages seem not to be working (1Cor.15:33; Ps.1:1).
2. Inordinate pursuit of money/career: money is needed to run the affairs of the home but when it is being pursued at the expense of the marriage, it may affect the togetherness of the couple (1Tim.6:10).
3. Undue attention to social media: Communication becomes hampered when spouses pay more attention to social media activities than to each other (Matt.6:21). This has disrupted family intimacy.
4. Character defects: One of the factors that make marriage beautiful is change. However, when spouses refuse to admit the need for a change in a defective lifestyle, such marriage suffers needless tensions (Matt.7:3).
5. Close relationship with ex-lovers/opposite sex: Failure to redefine and detach fully from previous or present intimate relationships with the opposite sex can trigger unforeseen sexual immorality (Prov.5:3, 15, 20).
6. Excessive jealousy: This happens when a partner is over-possessive. This is dangerous and can lead to destructive behaviours (Prov.6:34).
7. Addictions: Habits like gambling, alcohol consumption, drug abuse, and the like, are some moral vices that can draw the heart of either of the partners away from the marriage.
2. POSITIVE INFLUENCERS
1. Trust and understanding (1Jn.4:18; 1Pet.3:7).
2. Selflessness and mutual support (Gal.6:2; Eccl.4:9-10).
3. Praying together and keeping Christ at the centre of the relationship (Matt.18:19; Psalm 127:1).
4. Building a new home and family culture together (Gen.2:24).
5. Spending quality time together (Prov.31:28).
6. Guarding and managing your thoughts (Prov.4:23; 23:7).
7. Finding work-family balance (Rom.12:11; Psalm 127:2).
8. Never go to bed angry (Eph.4:26).
9. Speaking kind and uplifting words to each other (Prov.15:1; Col.4:6). Do not nag (Prov.21:19).
10. Being reasonable with family finance and budgets (Prov.16:21).
CONCLUSION: Every marriage is a work in progress. Therefore, we must be intentional to make it work.
* Mention some negative marriage influencers.
* Mention some positive marriage influencers.
FURTHER READINGS: MON: Prov.5:15, 18-20.
TUE: Prov. 18:22. WED: Eccl.9:9. THUR: Eccl.4:9, FRI: Hos. 2:19. SAT: Matt. 19:6. SUN:
ASSIGNMENT: Mention five (5) categories of people (that represent third-party) capable of influencing a marriage (2×5=10 Marks).