RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER’S MANUAL MAIDEN SPECIAL FOR YOUNG ADULTS AND YOUTHS (YAYA)
14TH MARCH 2021 LESSON 28
TOPIC: LIFE SKILLS: SELF-DEVELOPMENT
NOTE: SPECIAL 3RD QUARTER LESSONS FOR YOUNG ADULTS AND YOUTHS.
Please be informed that the idea of the special Quater 3 lessons for YAYA is to deal extensively with issues/subjects peculiar to YOUTHS and needed for their well-being as Christians.
1. All Youth Parishes should SWITCH completely to the lessons dedicated to YOUTHS throughout the 3rd quarter.
2. Parishes with special classes for YOUTHS should allow the youth classes SWITCH completely to the lessons dedicated to YOUTHS throughout the 3rd quarter while the rest of the church continues with the regular 3rd quarter for ADULTS.
3. Other Parishes without special classes for YOUTHS should re-group the members of the church and create a special class for the Youth so that the youths of the parish can SWITCH completely to the lessons dedicated to YOUTHS throughout the 3rd quarter while the rest of the church continues with the regular 3rd quarter for ADULTS.
MEMORY VERSE: “Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings ; He will not stand before unknown men”. — Proverbs 22:29 (NKJV)
BIBLE PASSAGE: 1TIMOTHY 4:11-16
These things command and teach.
Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.
Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.
Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.
Other Study Guides from RCCG This Week
Everyone of us would like to live out life to the fullest, and make the most of who we are and what we do. This is one of the main factors that encourages individuals to seek the path of self-development. Self-development is a process of consciously improving yourself in various aspects of your life. It is the conscious pursuit of personal growth by improving personal skills, competencies, talents and knowledge in order to seek self fulfilment and proactively reach your fullness potential (Proverbs 1:5).
TEXT REVIEW: 1TIMOTHY 4:11-16
A. The Apostle Paul admonishes the young pastor timothy to command and teach the church the very truth of the gospel – V11
B. In order to accomplish this goal, Paul charges Timothy on the need to develop himself:
i. Physiologically and psychologically. He should not allow people to look down on him because he is young ………………………V12a
ii. Spiritually and morally. He should……………V1.
iii. Educationally ……………………………..V13.
iv. Ministerially ……………………………….V14.
C. In order that Timothy’s progress may be the evidence to all, Paul further charges him to …………………………..V15.
D. Paul stresses Timothy’s need for Self-development by telling him to………………. V16.
1. WHY SELF-DEVELOPMENT?
2. HOW TO DEVELOP YOURSELF
Teacher should start this outline by throwing the question of ‘why self-development?’ at the youths and take a few responses. He should then proceed by highlighting the following reasons:
A. Self-development could be for professional advancement, personal advancement or spiritual enhancement (Daniel 9:2).
B. Whatever your goals may be, it is a continuous process that helps you being in significant changes in your life.
C. Here are some of the reasons youths should develop themselves are:
i. For self-awareness. Youths can attend Self-development or life coaching classes to get to know themselves better. Knowing who you are gives you clarity on the purpose of your life (Proverbs 20:5).
ii. To achieve maximum potential. Developing yourself involves improving the existing skills and learning the new ones to become a better person and achieve more than you can physically, mentally and spiritually (Proverbs 24:14; 1Thimothy 4:14-15).
iii. To improve performance. Developing your abilities and qualities will help you to perform better intellectually, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, to achieve your goals in life (2Thimothy 2:15).
iv. To improve social skills that allow them to lead a confident life (Proverbs 18:24).
D. Self-development is an ongoing process of self development in your career, education, personal life, spiritual growth and other areas of life.
CLASS ACTIVITY 1
Class should share some of the reasons many youth do not embrace the principle of self-development.
HOW TO DEVELOP YOURSELF
Teacher should allow the class to share their views on the subject of how to Self-develop. The teacher should then raise the following practical approaches:
1. Seek knowledge on what you want to improve on. Source for information related to what you need improvement on, e.g. audio and video materials, books etc (Eccl1:13).
2. Have a mentor/role model. It is helpful to be able to look to others for inspiration, motivation, or even just daily reminders of how you can continue moving forward on your journey (1King 19:19-21; 1Thimothy 1:1-2; 4:12-16).
3. Surround yourself with people of like minds. Spend time with people who are working on similar things as you, and you will find yourself growing with them at a faster rate than if you had tried to do it all alone (1Samuel 22:1-2; Proverbs 27:17).
4. Maintain self-discipline, stay honest with yourself and be intentional about your desired improvement (Proverbs 25:28; 2Corinthians 4:17).
5. Measure your progress. Reflect at the end of each day as it is a way to really know I’d you are moving in the right direction and when or where to pivot as you go along
6. Consistency is the key. Self-development happens slowly and deliberately. It should be a daily practise and lifestyle. Consistency is what creates a meaningful change (Daniel 6:10; 2Peterb1:10).
7. Embrace change. Your self-development plan needs to include how you are doing to change and what action you will take. Only action lead to results.
8. Be grateful and recognise your worth. Focus on what you already have. Think about how others benefit from what to do. If you improve yourself, those benefit will increase. Your personal development is for others, as well as for you (Psalm 100:4).
9. Follow your passion and pray along. It is not good doing things that you do not like. Choose actions that appeal to you and are in line with your values and pray as you work on them (Proverbs 3:5-6; 1Timothy 4:16).
10. Pray and follow the prompting of the holy spirit to be the best that God created you to be (Jeremiah 29:11; Deuteronomy 28:8-13).
CLASS ACTIVITY 2
Class should share what they are doing personally to Self-develop.
The critical quest of every youth should be to self-develop. To achieve this, youth and young adult must master the why and the how of the subject. RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER’S MANUAL MAIDEN SPECIAL FOR YOUNG ADULTS AND YOUTHS (YAYA)
14TH MARCH 2021 LESSON 28
Self-development can be a long path depending on where you are at present and where you what to be in the future. So, the sooner you start, the better it is.
Father, please deliver me from mediocrity and complacency.
Write down five (5) things you are doing or what to do to develop yourself in any field of life.